The Government is currently funding schools to support children and improve the quantity, quality and breadth of PE and sport provision in schools and has been doing so for a number of years. This reflects the requirement on schools to encourage children to develop lifelong habits of taking part in daily physical activity, sport or Physical Education.
The allocation is calculated according to the intake of the school. The school is required to decide how best to use this money to improve PE and sport provision in line with the government's vision.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE, physical activity and sport they provide.
This means that we must use the PE and sport premium to:
- develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport that your school provides
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now are sustainable and will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
Schools are required use the PE and sport premium to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators.
1. Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
2. Raise the Profile of PE, School Sport and Physical Activity across the school and use it as a tool for whole school improvement
3. Increase the confidence, knowledge and skills of staff in teaching PE and sport
4. Broader experience of a range of sports and physical activities
5. Increase participation in competitive sport
Click on the link below to view our Action plan, with details our plans for improving PE and Sport this year, including our use of the funding.